Monday 31 October 2016

A Halloween Quiz



I'm assuming most of our readers can guess what this very gothic carved bat and its salamander prey is, but can you tell me where it is? 

Ten points to anyone who can correctly name the town and the building it is in.

**************************************************

Answer: I thought this one might flummox everyone. Chm is quite right, it is a misericord. It is in the church in Mezières-en-Brenne. It is not easy to spot and I only found it because I checked each and every misericord carefully. If you visit the church, be prepared and take a torch. I was alerted to its presence because I noticed a very small illustration of it on the church notice board, so I then went hunting for it. I imagine lots of people visit this church and never notice it.

10 comments:

local alien said...

Not only do I not know where it is but also I don't know WHAT it is. Answers please! You'll get ten points plus ten points!!

chm said...

Well it is what's called in French a miséricorde, but I'd be damned if I know in which church it is.

Susan said...

You have visited the church. I know you have. But not with me :-)

chm said...

I have visited a great many churches in my long life, but the one you can be sure I have been into is the Abbaye Saint-Pierre de Preuilly-sur-Claise. Is that where this misericord is located? The only other church would be Saint-Savin, but you were with us. The mystery thickens!

Susan said...

No and no :-)

Ken Broadhurst said...

This thing could be in any one of dozens of local churches. Montrésor.

chm said...

Yes, I have a very vivid recolllection of our lunch and our walk along one of those étangs in the Brenne, but I don't recall at all stopping to have a look at the church in Mézières. Age!

Susan said...

Well, Ken's blog shows that you visited it with him :-)

Susan said...

Yes and no. Some churches have one or two particularly entertaining misericords, others have more pedestrian examples.

Ken Broadhurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment